Friday, February 3, 2012

EDSS 530 Visitors and Residents

1.  Watch the following video: Visitors and Residents by Dr. White and then write a blog post reflecting on where you are in this continuum and how you see your future on the Internet.  If possible, leave a thoughtful comment on some of your peers' blogs


After watching the video of Visitors and Residents I have determined that I sit at both sides of the perspective.  I have created my own digital identity over the years from Facebook, Pinterest, Etsy, blogging, various forums, and even a "Livejournal" from my middle school days (No you may not have that username, I am so thankful I did not put my real name on that tidbit).  I use these sites to store and share information.  I also use these sites to stay in contact with people I have moved away from or often cannot see on a regular basis.  Thus in this aspect I am a resident of the internet.  On the other had I fit into the Visitor side of Dr. White's description in that I find what I need, a piece of information or research as a tool in a disorganized box, (the web) and then throw it back in once I am done.  I use the internet primarily as a Britannica, and rarely share all the information I find on the web on my social networks.
It was only recently when I started to sell paintings on the web did I start posting my real name on the web.  Since then, what I used to keep private I have now used to establish a name for myself.  The prospect of selling on the web is what encouraged me ultimately to become a true resident on the web than my fake persona I created in middle school to be a visitor.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the way it works is that when we visit often enough for long enough we become comfortable with the space and bit-by-bit (or byte-by-byte) become residents.

    ReplyDelete