Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Frustrations of Website Banning on Campus


Since I have started my second clinical practice, I have run into a problem.  I cannot get any university work, lesson planning, or resource learning done during my prep period.  Why is this?  Because the school has blocked access to many things I need access too.  I cannot load any social media sites, no Youtube, and many educational sites as well.  If a site has any form of video link or forum to it.  Forget, don't even bother.  It has become very frustrating!  I type in "Youtube, Ipads in physical education", blocked.  I try "twitter educational chats" on Google, but I'm blocked because I typed in "Twitter"!  Then I just got curious and started typing in URLs to see what I could get.  I have access to Ebay, Amazon, and Craigslist, but I cannot access Diigo, Youtube, or PEcentral.com.  Which of these has more educational resources...?  I was really excited to be able to use some of my prep time to save, develop resources and learn new ideas but nothing works.
I understand that banning sites on a school campus is important.  There are many things online what students should not have access to on campus.  But to block out so many resources that could be used as learning tools is very upsetting.  



Articles about schools limiting web access
http://dmlcentral.net/blog/s-craig-watkins/what-schools-are-really-blocking-when-they-block-social-media
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/education/29banned.html

No comments:

Post a Comment