Thursday, March 22, 2012

Reflection Week One


Week One Reflection

I am really liking my new school site for clinical practice one.  The department of physical education here carries a tight ship.  As a result the school has a slightly more militaristic style, but transitions are faster, chaos is kept to a minimum and in the end students achieve 3x as much as they would in other schools I have visited.  The class is student run and routine based which relieves the teacher of the beginning warm ups to move about the students, talk, and create connections.  The students carry a larger respect for the teachers because of this.  The students gain individual attention from the teachers which creates a larger respect and better cooperation. 
In this first week I have been able to practice teaching in a ‘mirrored’ fashion.  I will watch my cooperating teachers teach a class in the morning, and then copy it for my assigned classes in the afternoon.  I am scheduled to take the class over at the end of the unit, but this opportunity allows me to continue practicing managerial routines and instructional lectures.  What the teachers plan I know the level of success it has from the morning class in which I can compare it with my own performance in the afternoon.  I am learning a new challenge for physical education.  We move around the campus constantly during class, and we don’t always have the option of handouts and white boards because of the nature of the class.  I am a little frustrated by this because this results in limitations in how I am able to differentiate my content for my students.  We have a sportfolio that we truck around from one location to another but with middle school students they often leave them laying around, get stepped on, and if papers are not stapled to the folder it is a guaranteed mess with paper flying around the field.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am thinking about relying on a blog and twitter to help for long term instruction, but daily instruction still presents a challenge.  Does anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment