Friday, March 30, 2012

Reflection on Week 2


Week two and I have survived thus far!  This was another fantastic week.  I am coming home and wanting to straight to bed every night just because I have so much to process each evening, I need the extra sleep just to sort everything and reboot for the next day and I am loving it.
I am fortunate enough that David has the same background as I do, going through the P.E. program at Cal State, coaching and what not.  I am also fortunate that he is willing to sit and listen to be  blab about my teaching every single day, giving me advice and support.  As a result, I feel that most of my reflections and bouncing of ideas happen with David.  I feel so lucky to have him! 
Because of that, I would like to focus a lot of my reflection posts on highlights, or things I would like to do differently in the future that I have already brainstormed with David.  It helped to type a list of positives at the end of the week to start the weekend on as well too :)
Let's see... what are the highlights of this week...  
We are completing the state testing requirements right now in class. Its long, involved, and takes the energy out of everyone in class.  Its a little frustrating because keeping interest in P.E. is often very difficult.  Having students complete uniform mundane tasks to meet standards takes a tole of student motivation and enthusiasm for fitness.  Yesterday they had to complete yet another mile time for the fitness test.  Despite the frustrations and disappointment that surrounds having to complete another mile time, students still did awesome and put their best efforts in.  Many students have already passed, or have received state presidential or national awards for their efforts in class.  Despite the fact they have already achieved the expectations, they still try their best.  Scores continue to improve and so many students are amped when it happens.  Its a really gratifying thing to see as a teacher, especially on a subject that is so difficult to complete week after week.  I was so proud of all my students and what they achieved yesterday.  There was one student in particular that was the highlight of my day, and taught me a lot about coaching and teaching as well.  This student has difficultly completing the mile.  He has a barrel chested frame to give a perspective, making him very out of shape and provides great difficulty to running.  Often, as the day continues and more students find out there is the mile run in P.E., our students who are like this one, suddenly go home sick after lunch or something of that madder.  Its really upsetting, but not this student.  He is the last class of the day and by-golly he is going to be there.  He does his best not to walk at all during the mile, he just does his best to keep on moving.  He is sincere, and always smiles.  On his last lap yesterday he had 3 minutes left to make the last lap to pass the mile exam.  He comes around my corner, and I ask him if I could run with him.  Still moving forward he huffs a yes and we jump in together.  All through the lap its giving advise, how to breath, keep those arms moving for momentum, and the "you can do it"s.  At the last straight away I say to kick in all he has left, go as fast as he can to the finish were the teacher is waiting for him, and boy does he kick it in.  He gives every last ounce of energy he has into getting to that finish line.  Not only does he pass the exam time of 12 minutes, but he comes in at a 10:30.  He was so happy about his accomplishment, and his peers were so excited about his efforts you would think he would have come in first place with a record, not last. With a high five, he says thank you for helping him finish.  It wasn't me though, it was his efforts and determination to tackle that mile.  I just helped bring his confidence around the track.  I have never seen him walk off to the locker room standing so tall despite the fact he was probably dead tired.
Its students like him that make me feel like I am accomplishing something as a teacher.  He sets an amazing example I wish all of my students would follow.  Here is a student who is not set up for success in state regulated fitness testing, but he overcomes it.  Meanwhile I have more capable students who could achieve great things, gain awards for only putting in minimal efforts.  In physical education he is my star student, not the one that came in at a 6:30 without even trying to bothering to push himself further.     

2 comments:

  1. I love your story of this student. Connecting with students is such an important aspect of our role as educators, and you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete