Tuesday, January 24, 2012

RR9

Reading Reflection 9: Locate and read information about your school site (School webpage, School Report Card, School Newspaper, School Handbook (Rules), Parent & Teacher Association Materials...).
RR9: Begin your ethnographic research on your school site to complete your ethnography for EDSS 530 and to complete Task 3 for the ITU.

Woodland Park Middle School
Home of the Bulldogs
1270 Rock Springs Rd.
San Marcos, CA 92069

Mission Statement District and School
As part of the San Marcos Unified School District, we continue to strive to provide a clear and focused mission; strong educational leadership; a climate for high expectations 101' students and staff; a positive, safe, and orderly environment; place an emphasis on student attainment of essential and basic skills; solicit quality relations with parents and the community; and conduct frequent monitoring of student progress.

We at Woodland Park Middle School believe that all students can learn and that teachers promote learning. We insure that the students will master the curriculum of the San Marcos Unified School District. Students will be held accountable for and demonstrate responsible behavior. They will develop a positive self-image, self-motivation and social and cooperative skills. We will create and maintain a safe, effective and caring environment in 'which students will acquire these skills.


 School Motto
"I am responsible for myself!"

I will watch my thoughts.....they become my words.
I will watch my words.....they become my actions.
I will watch my actions'.....till they become my habits.
I will watch my habits.....they become my character.
I will watch my character.....it becomes my destiny.

Demographics
While the city of San Marcos is growing rapidly with industry and housing, the Woodland Park neighborhood maintains a small town feeling with a relatively stable population. Woodland Park is home to more than 1,400 students in grades six, seven and eight who attend school on a modified year round, trimester schedule. School demographics show that 48 percent of our students are Caucasian, 43% are Hispanic, and the remaining 9% are African American, Asian or Filipino. Within the student body, 21 percent of our students are English Language Learners and 39% come from low-income families.

Enrollment 1450
Schoolwide or LEA-wide ELA Percent of students scoring Proficient or Above: 60.2%
                State Average: 45%
Schoolwide Math Percent of students scoring Proficient or Above: 50.4%
                State Average: 41%

Student Population
Percent African American : 4%
Percent American Indian : 1%
Percent Asian : 3%
Percent Filipino : 2%
Percent Hispanic or Latino : 43%
Percent Pacific Islander : 1%
Percent White : 45%

Handbook of Rules and Protocols for WPMS

Programs
Included in the PACE program with CSUSM.  As of 2009, all students in the SMUSD from grades 9 to 12, will have guaranteed admission at CSUSM

Wellness Fair at MHHS (I volunteered at this two years ago and had a blast!)

3 comments:

  1. Excellent work on you RR 1-9. Send me the link to your ITU page, when you get it ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add school images to task 3, context

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. Could you clarify?

      Delete