Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Idea Frightens Me...


I am having a little bit of an issue.  This is a touchy topic because it brings up the madder of race.  O dear.  Everyone’s blood pressure just went up a little bit… 
My over all control of my classes is decent.  I certainly have things to improve on, but I was also not the teacher setting the standards at the beginning of the year so it is a little difficult to gauge exactly how much of this “control” is from the previous teacher’s work, or my own when I stepped in.  Regardless, talking to Chris the other day I realized something very interesting.  My “problem” students, the ones that are slow to respond, push the limits, don’t put effort in, or try to reek chaos at any opportunity, with the exception of one student, are all Latino males.  Back up, what?!  What am I missing, what am I doing wrong?  How can this be?  I’m a racist because Latino males in my class don’t LIKE me! 
I joke to lighten the mood, but this is serious.  What is going on?  What am I lacking?  How do I approach this?   I ask this sincerely, because I am quite frankly very upset to see this correlation with my struggling students.  Is it really my small frame, white, blonde self running around with my little head-set giving directions to go here and there throughout class?  What is causing this issue?  Is it my own persona I am sending out to the crowd?  Is it a lack of connection?  Is it because most of these students are already up for expulsion or close to it?  Is it because I am a white female?  

1 comment:

  1. Here I am a year later, referring back to old posts I wrote when I was a student teacher. I am currently working in a middle school science class and had to chuckle when I got to this article. My current school has a larger number of Latino males than when I wrote this post. At my current school I am having none of these issues that I had run into a year ago. Building my own classroom culture of acceptance over adopting someone else's like my previous year as a student teacher I think is what made the difference.

    ReplyDelete